Fall is a great time in the Shuswap and there are lots of things to go do and see around the lake. It's funny, often the are is thought of for summer (boating, camping, houseboating, surfing and paddling) or winter (back country sledding and adventure, cozy cabin getaways) but actually there's a lot to do in the fall around the Shuswap.
Places to Explore
Go for a walk - the Shuswap's fall colour is on full display. Get up into the trees or out on the trails to see the leaves go from deep greens to vibrant yellows and rich oranges. Some of our favourite places to go are Herald Provincial Park just out Sunnybrae-Canoe Point Road. At this time of year, the beach is quite long and the trails along the creekbed and through the park are a great place to get out in the trees. Take a walk up to Margaret Falls while you are out there.
There are all kinds of events going on around the Shuswap including music, food, and family activities. A few great accounts to follow for upcoming events are Taste of the Shuswap, Roots and Blues and Shop Shuswap Local.
- Fungi Festival - Sept 20-21 in Sicamous
- Apple Fest - October 7 in downtown Salmon Arm
- Sunnybrae Winery Pig Roast - Oct 13 in Sunnybrae
- Spooktacular at RJ Haney Heritage Village - Oct 21 & 22 in Salmon Arm
- Chocolate Tasting - Oct 23 in Salmon Arm
- SLED Sicamous Film Festival - Oct 27 in Sicamous
In the summer there are several local markets and while that number decreases in the fall, there's still a few running. There's also some local wineries and cideries which host one-day markets for local farmers, producers and makers.
- Marionette Winery Harvest Market in Salmon Arm - Sept 29
- Autumn Love at CC Bloom in Armstrong - Sept 30
- Salmon Arm Downtown Farmers Market - Saturdays
- Sorrento Famers Market - Oct 7 & 14
Grab a pumpkin
What says fall more than a pumpkin. There are quite a few places around the Shuswap to pick out your perfect pumpkin. Some are your local markets where there are displays of hundreds of pumpkins, flowers and other local fare. Others take out right out into their pumpkin patch. Either way, lots of opportunities for family pics and that Insta-worthy shot or reel.
- DeMilles in Salmon Arm
- Harpur Farms Pumpkin Patch - weekends in October
- Pete Murray's Pumpkin Patch in Chase
- Pedro Gonzales in Salmon Arm
- The Pumpkin Patch in Armstrong
Check out the harvest at local wineries and cideries
The Shuswap has wineries and cideries all around the lake and with harvest underway, it's a great time to visit and check out your soon-to-be favourite wine or cider. Many of the wineries have special events with music and food at this time of year.
Wineries of the Shuswap
- Celista Estate Winery
- Larch Hills Winery
- Monte Creek Winery
- Recline Ridge Winery
- Sunnybrae Vineyard & Winery
- OVINO Winery
- Marionette Winery
- Bacatta Ridge Winery
- Waterside Vineyard & Winery