This weekend is Small Business Saturday - it's squashed between Black Friday and Cyber Monday. It's a day meant to highlight the small, local businesses that make your community awesome and is a reminder to put some of your holiday spending in your community.
We debated doing Black Friday and maybe that's a miss for us but honestly, I didn't want to undercut the stores who have been such big supporters of Shuswap Soul since the beginning.
So we're opting out of the Black Friday and Cyber Monday madness. Instead I'm asking everyone to check out a new-to-you small businesses in your community - either at the Shuswap or wherever you call home. You get to find new cool stuff and maybe get some of your holiday shopping done.
There are so many awesome businesses and makers around the Shuswap and we get asked all the time for ideas. So if you are looking for an awesome gifts for your holiday shopping list, we've put together a few ideas from across the Shuswap if you are looking for Small Business Saturday shopping inspiration.
These are some of our favourite things, places, events and foods from around the Shuswap.
Awesome Local Shops
If there's a small shop in your town or neighbourhood, stop in, check them out.
- On Alex
- Re-Market, etc
- Blush & Blossom Boutique
- Wearabouts Clothing
- Crazy River Clothing
- The Candy Vault
- Man + Woman
- Poor David's
- Bookingham Palace Books
- Skookum Cycles & Ski
- The She Shed by the Shuswap
- Wild Craft Merchantile
- Sapori Olive Oils & Vinegars
- Meikle Studio Art House
Sorrento & Blind Bay
- Love in Blind Bay Gifts
- Shuswap Artisan Market
- White Post Auto Museum & Antiques Mall
- Little River Boatworld
- Eagle Bay Mercantile
- John's Pampered Pets
- Let's start with hockey - check out a Salmon Arm Silverbacks, Chase Heat or Sicamous Eagles game
- See a show - Live at the Shuswap Theatre, Caravan Farm Theatre, Salmar Theatre or plan for live shows next summer at RJ Haney Village.
- Book a rental for next summer - bikes, a boat or a cabin
- Plan a winter staycation at a local hotel or some cool little cabin like White Lake Cottages, Tin Poppy Retreat, or Bluebird Chalet
- Book a spa day at LE7KE Spa at Quaaout Lodge or Lakelife Boutique Spa
- Volunteer with a local group like the Shuswap Trail Alliance, the Salmon Arm Fair or any other community group you like
- Try a float
- Book out the movie theatre for you friends and family
- Try a private virtual chocolate tasting with Bean to Bar World
- Get family photos taken by one of the many awesome local photographers like Krista White, Abigail Anderson, Moonkissed Memories and many others
- Plan a dinner or night out with your friends at a local restaurant for the new year when things start to get kind of quiet
- Start a project at Inclusive Arts
- Book a Summer 2022 surf day with Surf Sicamous
- Let your kids burn off some energy at Jungle Mania
Some of these places have gifts for the foodie in your life or ask about a gift certificates.
- Wineries like Sunnybrae Winery, Larch Hills Winery, Marionette Winery, Ovino Winery, Recline Ridge Winery
- Cider & Beer like Shuswap Cider Company, Farmstrong Cider, North Yards Cider, Morrow Beer Company or Crannog Ales
- Local coffee shops like Ecotreats, Blondies, Anvil Coffee Collective, Steamers, Nattycakes, Shuswap Pie Company, Pink Cherry
- Local markets like DeMilles, Pedro Gonzales, Askews Foods where you can find locally made treats
- Local makers like Cocoa + Caramel, Shucuterie, The Fridge Light, Shuswap Coffee, Armstrong Point Apiary, Mo'Mogi Barley Tea, Shuswap Infusions Tea, BC Brine
Don't forget to check out the markets this season - we made a list of them here where you will find some great makers.
- Cheeky Sparrow Macrame
- Honey & Joy
- Mountain Woodworks
- AIM Handmade
- Lazybones Knits
- Notch Hill Fine Woodworking
- Sorrento Stoneware
- Tappen Apothocary
- Mud Sweat & Tears Pottery
- Alabaster and Ivy
- Poetic Threads
- Lumber Junkie
- Emily V Woodworking
- Shuswap Photo Craft Puzzels
- Ness Clay Designs
- Lakeside Design Woodwork
If there is some awesome maker, market, store, experience or something I missed, drop a comment and we can add it in.
Also you can support your local businesses without spending anything:
- follow that business on social media
- like their posts
- share their posts
- comment on their posts
- tag a friend who might love their post
- post photos of their products on your social - don't forget to tag the business
- tell your real life friends about their business
- write a review on Facebook, Yelp or Google about your experiences with the business and their products
- sign up for their email newsletter