If you had to make a list of 50 things to do in the Shuswap, what would be on it?
I started this list a couple of years ago and have just updated it for 2022. So here's your Bucket list of over 75 things to do in the Shuswap.
Hanging out in the Shuswap is pretty much the best. From being out on a boat on Shuswap Lake, hiking up in the hills or checking out a market in Salmon Arm, Scotch Creek or Sicamous, there are so many things. And it doesn't matter if the Shuswap is your year round home or you are on vacation soaking up a couple of days of lake life at the cabin or campground, there's so many great things to do for everyone.
So I started a list of 50 activities we need to do... some are expected and others are a little out of the ordinary, but all of them offer a little piece of the Shuswap.
Here's the start... would love to know what you think should be on the list. Maybe we can get to a list of 100.
- Waterski on all four arms, plus Mara Lake and the Little Shuswap (is that one or six things?)
- Kayak at sunset from the Salmon Arm boat launch
- Go back to the lookout above Sicamous
- Visit the Salmon Arm Art Gallery
- Swim across the lake (probably at a pretty narrow spot)
- Eat at the Shark Shack
- Picnic at the beach in Canoe
- Lace up your running shoes at the Shuswap Ultra. Race, volunteer or just come cheer on those runners.
- Check out the corn maze at DeMilles
- Visit all of the Shuswap wineries - Sunnybrae Winery, Celista Estate Winery, Larch Hills Winery, Recline Ridge Winery, Marionette Winery, Ovino Winery Waterside Winery
- Dinner at Finz in Blind Bay
- Go diving at Semaphore Point
- Golf. Lots of it. Salmon Arm Golf Club, Talking Rock, Shuswap National, Shuswap Lake Golf Course, Hyde Mountain
- See the salmon run up close at Tsutswecw Park
- Stop at the hubcap place in Grinrod. Because why not?
- Check out the Secwepemc Cultural Experience at Quaaout Lodge & Spa
- Pie. Probably cherry. Maybe peach. All we know is that it's from the Shuswap Pie Company.
- Get to know a local farmer. Lots of things grow in the Shuswap: dairy, flowers, fruit and vegetables - D-Dutchman Dairy, Grass Roots Dairies, Harpur Farm, Bastion Mountain U-Pick Cherries, Blue Hills Lavender
- Cartwheels from the start to the end of the Salmon Arm Wharf. Or see how fast you can run it... or just walk. It's a nice walk.
- I call bluff! Who doesn't love a good bluff. Not for cards - thinking more Energy Cliffs or Tappen Bluffs.
- Ice Cream at Anglemont Marina or any of the other 18 places around the Shuswap.
- Drink lavender lemonade on the patio at Blondies in Sicamous
- Waterslides. Without a sunburn this time.
- The Fungi Festival. We hear there are lots of fun-guys talking mushrooms. See what we did there?
- Stand Up Paddleboard at sunrise
- Live music at the Hub in Scotch Creek
- Get into the trees ziplining at Treetop Flyers in Chase
- Ride the midway at the Salmon Arm Fall Fair
- Spend an afternoon on a horse with High Country Trail Rides
- Check out the old cars at the White Post Auto Museum
- Farmers Markets... figure out which is our favourite. Generally if I can find White Lake Organics cookies or Little Red Hen brownies, I'm happy. Taste of the Shuswap has an awesome list.
- See the Salmon Arm Silverbacks in action
- See an a$$ at the Turtle Valley Donkey Refuge
- Hike up the Mount Baldy Trail. On a clear day this time
- Feel the burn of an afternoon of cross-country skiing in Larch Hills
- Dinner Theatre at RJ Haney Heritage Village
- Check out the WOW concert series at the Salmon Arm Wharf
- River raft on the Adams River
- Boat up to Albus Park and hike up to Albus Falls
- A campfire with s'mores (when there isn't a fire ban of course)
- Find the best beach on the lake for a relaxing day of sun, swim & sand... Silver Sands? Chase? Sicamous?
- Cliff jumping at Copper Island or Magna Bay
- Check out the sweet ride at Captains Village Marina
- Drive my parents to the micro breweries - Crannog Ales, NorthYards Cider Co, Shuswap Cider
- Hike up the Bastion Mountain Trail
- Wander around downtown Salmon Arm. There are more and more awesome little shops - there is a great little home shop on Lakeshore. Alexander Street is home to Crazy Creek, Whereabouts and On Alex. Hudson has a few gems as well including the Poor David's, Candy Vault, RE Market and Skookum Cycles. Wander up Hudson, along Lakeshore and grab a drink and head to the Ross Street Plaza
- Pull out the folding chairs, some warm blankets and popcorn for an old-time movie experience at the Starlight Drive-In
- Jump off one of the rope swings around the lake
- Find your favourite coffee - Eco Treats, Anvil Coffee Collective, Frog Friendly Coffee Co, Shuswap Coffee Company or Pink Cherry Coffee,
- I wonder if anyone with those really long, super fast boats would take us for a spin. Just putting it out there :)
- Dust off your bike, grab your helmet and head out for the Salty Dog Enduro and Street Fest in Salmon Arm
- Find the best place to watch the sunset. Right now, we'd say either the Canoe Wharf or Blind Bay
- Live music in Blind Bay on Thursday evenings
- Try all the food trucks I can find - Carried Away, S'witchcraft, Be TEAsed
- Ride the midway at the Salmon Arm fair
- Epic spike ball game at the beach
- Race your family around the Salmon Arm Go Cart track
- Check out a pitch & putt course or mini golf in Sicamous, Salmon Arm, Scotch creek or Cedar Heights in Blind Bay
- Salmon Arm Roots & Blues Festival
- Learn to surf - either rent a boat from a local marina or take a lesson from Tony at Surf Sicamous
- Check out one of the local farmer's markets - Taste of the Shuswap created an awesome list of those
- Try SUP yoga on a standup paddleboard on the lake
- Take a drive and grab a doughnut at Sutherlands Bakery in Enderby
- Take the family for some summertime Family Fun Centre in Scotch Creek
- Check out the hot chocolate trail in Salmon Arm in the winter - Shuswap Adventure girl wrote all about it
- Grab a blanket, some towels, a picnic and get wet at the Fletcher Splash Park, Blackburn Park or Sorrento Community Park spray parks
- Go chase waterfalls at Margaret Falls, Onyx Falls or Albas Falls
- Admire the classic cars and take in the fireworks at the South Shuswap Canada Day celebrations
- Check out the rock and country music at the Monashee Music Festival
- Head for the hills! Shuswap Trails is a great resource for finding your favourite hiking trails around the Shuswap
- Take a tour of the Llama Sanctuary in Chase
- Have you seen the water and the painted turtles at White Lake? There's public access at Hugh Road Park and White Lake Provincial Park.
- Stop in at Farmer John's Market in Grinrod for an ice cream. Like some of the other local markets, they have a great selection of local food and most importantly, ice cream. They also have a playground and they rent ebikes so you can explore a little further
- Capture your lake memories - hire one of the awesome local photographers to take family pics around the lake.
- Enjoy a little staycation at the Shuswap! Rent a houseboat or a cool cabin and vacation at home. Here's some ideas for places to stay.
We know there are way more... bird watching, fishing, sledding, ice cream searching... what would be on your top 10? I'll just keep adding to this list. Maybe we can get it to 100.
I believe the Flea Market in Enderby is open again for the season. It’s always fun looking through the wares for a treasure.
Don’t forget going for a float at Shuswap Float & Wellness on Hudson!
They also have a halotherapy cabin and a neurospa chair for more relaxation and body benefits!
Leave a comment